The Importance of Proper Phone Etiquette7th January 2013
Customer service is something all of us have to deal with in day-to-day to life, whether giving or receiving, and whether face-to-face or over email, or the phone. We’ve all had good and bad experiences, and if you are a customer, the customer service you receive is usually make or break as to whether you give that company your custom again.
Personally I find there is nothing worse than calling up a customer service department and waiting on hold for ages listening to quite frankly rubbish music, only to then be met on the other end by a representative who clearly doesn’t have a clue what they are talking about and gets no nearer to solving the initial issue. It leaves a bad taste in the mouth for all concerned, as the operator will then have an even more upset customer to deal with on the other end of the phone.
So, here’s just a few pointers for what a customer should be expecting from any customer service representative worth their weight, and likewise what any representative should be looking to do to please their customer –
- Speak clearly and calmly – don’t rush your words, don’t mumble and don’t sound miserable – that’s hardly going to make your customer happier and may leave them confused and/or angered.
- Greet your customer appropriately – “Good Morning” or “Good Afternoon” depending on the time of day is a must. Introduce yourself too and let the customer know who they are talking to – not just a voice on the other end of the phone.
- Ask how you can help – listen to their problem, ask the customer what they would like you to do to help them solve the problem. If you are unable to help them ask if they would like to speak to a more senior member of staff.
- Don’t get distracted – focus completely on what you are doing, don’t look around the office or at other members of staff. If your attention wanders you might forget what you’re saying and make a mistake.
- Thank the customer – even if you were unable to resolve the call, or even if the customer became angry and abusive, always make sure you thank them for the call. It leaves a better impression.
At Planet Numbers we always make sure we follow these guidelines to the letter in our customer service department. It keeps both the customer and us happy. So if you have a query don’t be shy to give us a call!